Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Beauty in Everything

Hey Y'all! 

So if you have stumbled onto this page it was probably because of my other blog "Sweet Insomnia". I created that blog a few years back one night while you guessed it... I had insomnia! However, that is all I did, I created it. I had a blast choosing the background and I swore I would write in it daily. It would be my little piece of the Internet just for me. That obviously didn't happen though! I do want to start writing in it but I thought I could create sort of a mini blog to go along side it to just get me back into the "writers groove" again sort of speak! I have always loved words and have always been fascinated with the use of them and how they can mean so much and have so much power BUT I think as I grew up I began to also resent them. 

After writing paper after paper of non creative "gibberish" to be marked and graded by a professor I began to write less and less. Writing which at one point had been my outlet for so many years seemed to now be a chore and something I had to do just for a mark on a paper. I began to be that person who would increase the punctuation in a sentence to a size 13 or 14 font in hopes that the line would get carried down to the next line and i wouldn't have to write as much. No seriously, I did that once thanks to a helpful tip from my roomie when I complained to her that I still had a quarter of a page to write and nothing to say in a paper. *Take note university students!* I think I saw writing as rules and styles versus the creativity that it could be. That being said this blog is going to be raw and if I am being completely honest pretty unedited. I will probably  have comma splices and incorrect punctuation so grammar Nazis beware! Who knows I may have posts that are all one sentence or very few sentences! Just like some other famous authors (Ernest Hemingway, anyone?!) But let's be serious that's really annoying and kind of hard to read so probably not! My point is that this is just going to be a fun little blog where I can write what I want and you guys the readers (if I have any) can respond with whatever you want...no judgements what so ever!

Now... on to the point of this blog shall we? Recently, I have been going through a rough time with depression and anxiety.**spoiler alert for those friends I hadn't told** I have good days and bad days like everyone does but I seem to have forgotten the little important things in life. To be thankful for the fact that I live in a country as great as Canada where I am blessed to have freedom of speech. That I have AMAZING friends and family who love me for me even though I'm full of crazy and probably drive them up the wall at times! That i make more than two dollars a day at a job which automatically makes me richer than 92% of the world.(http://globalrichlist.com/) Or that as a girl with a "physical disability" (I hate saying that FYI) I have the opportunity to even attend school (post secondary at that!). While some girls in other parts of the world are not allowed to regardless of being "disabled" or not. 

All this being said each day I am going to write a little bit about my day and what I am thankful for. When I was in the hospital last year there was a lady there who wrote a page a day in her diary. She had been doing this for about 40 years (that's a lot of notebooks yo!). I thought the idea of having your whole life essentially on paper was pretty cool and I would start doing that...tomorrow. Well ladies and gentlemen, tomorrow is today (well in this case today is yesterday considering it is 6:35 am on Tuesday and I am writing as if it is Monday evening...sorry I had a non-creative-for-marks-paper to write first!) 

As you guys read this blog I encourage you guys to do the same. No you don't have to create a blog and write in fancy lettering and what not...although it can be fun! I would encourage you to think about what you are thankful for because no matter what your situation is right now there is always someone who is worse off than you and if you just open your eyes you will find beauty in the most unpredictable places! 

So I will start off.... I am thankful for you- my friends, family and strangers who just happened to find this blog. Each and everyone one of you has a purpose in this world and without you the world wouldn't be the same!

So I ask...what are you thankful for???


The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart”- Helen Keller


4 comments:

  1. Great first post Kierra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kierra! I really enjoyed reading your blog! I think that what you said is true, writing is an amazing and powerful outlet. Sometimes just getting your thoughts down on paper makes you realize things better than if you were just mulling it over in your head. We do get caught up worrying, stressing and over-analyzing things that really are not that significant on the grand scale of our life. I like your positive outlook! We should be happy about the life we have and feel lucky for all the things and people that make it great. If we are unhappy with our lives then it is up to us to change it to make it better! Complaining and stressing does not do the trick. Thank you for sharing some positive insights on how we view our lives. Looking forward to your next post. - Kelly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Kelly!!! When I saw I had a reader from the UK I felt so worldly haha. I Hope you are enjoying your time still! When you get a chance we should catch up I want to hear all about your life and teaching!!! I hope you are doing well :)

      Delete